Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Assignments: Artist Biography and Statement

My assignment is to write a short artist biography and artist statement.  I dont really have to publish this in my blog or anything, but what the shoot, lets have fun on blogger. 

 And yes, I do have to refer to myself in third person. 

Elizabeth Wolf was born in 1988 in Beulah, North Dakota.  She is currently a full time student at Minnesota State University Moorhead and is studying for her Bachelors of Fine Arts.  As a student, Liz emphasizes her studio studies in printmaking and installation pieces.   In addition to her studies, Liz is the current president of the Works on Paper Plus Guild.  Liz will graduate in 2011 with an emphasis in printmaking and will continue her education to broaden her interests in contemporary art theory.  Her long term goal is to become a lecturing professor in the arts.


This is a pretty wimpy biography considering I've never been in any shows other than the required BA and I've never received any kick ass scholarships since I lucked out with a hefty trust fund.  I'll admit that it's pretty embarrassing to have hardly any credentials, especially since my closest friends have some pretty great things to put in their biography.  For me, it feels as though I am a failure compared to my peers; it's something that holds me back from time to time.  Accepting "failure" has been apart of my learning this past year, and it motivates me to push my work into the public.  Also, learning to be supportive of my friends as opposed to envying them had been an issue as well.   It's fun to grow up.

In my work, I convey social observations through the use of metaphors and space.  Since my freshman year in college, I have portrayed the jellyfish as a symbol of relationships among people in society.  But my observations of jellyfish was only accessable through the use of the internet; because of photo manipulation and selective researching, I was no longer representing a real creature.  Instead, I represented my own creature I had created based on my interests. 
My current work deals with the crafting of mental and social situations through the use of the internet.  As a young woman who has grown up with a rapidly developing technology, my perceptions and motivations are influenced by a vast network of people and ideas through the use of technology.  
By hand crafting the jellyfish to represent my skewed perceptions, I have represented an idea that the information I receive is personalized; and the personalization of a source that is intangible has become a comfortable means in which to engage in learning and social construction in every day life. 
In addition to craft and construction, multiplication and space are important elements in my work. I utilize multiplication as a means to either disseminate a trend in society or to exemplify an idea within a space.

 Although my biography is pretty weak, I feel pretty confident in my artist statements.  I think I'm ending on a short note in the end, but for now I'm satisfied.  It's hard to sum up your work so that it encompasses all the ideas you've explored in it. 

Anyways! Good enough for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment